(KRON) — A malfunctioning lithium-ion battery caused a fire in a building located on the Google campus in Mountain View on Monday. According to the City of Mountain View, a 911 call was placed at around 11:37 a.m. Monday reporting a fire in a building at 2011 Stierlin Court.
Around 25 employees self-evacuated before firefighters arrived on the scene, according to officials.
Units from the City of Mountain View Fire Department were dispatched to the scene and arrived five minutes after the 911 call was placed. Arriving at the scene, firefighters found a sprinkler head actively flowing water and smoke coming from a computer lab.
The building was a large, single-story office building, officials said.
Firefighters stopped the water from the sprinkler head and removed the charred remnants of an office chair from the building. Using thermal imaging cameras, firefighters were able to confirm that the spread of the fire had been halted. Using salvage operations, firefighters removed water and smoke from the office space “without damaging sensitive electronic equipment” officials said.
No one was injured as a result of the fire, officials said. The fire, which was determined to have been caused by a malfunctioning lithium-ion battery inside a cardboard box, did cause about $50,000 in estimated damage.
Read the full article here